Monday, February 6, 2012
Abundant Life
This song by Jill Paquette, and honestly her entire first album, is one that I continually come back to in my times of worship. Her simple melodies and lyrics often speak to me in different ways each time I come back to them. The lyrics, " And once in a while is not enough to show to Me what you call love, Don't waste my time words aren't all I want" truly are resonating with me in this time heartache. Obviously, in times of brokenness, I am so much more apt to cry out in desperation. But, if I truly were desperately in love with my SAVIOR, it would be well known by all. About a week ago, I was discussing this idea of romantic love with my Trinity group and someone asked whether anyone had ever experienced a time of head of heels love with God. Most people talked about how it was a day to day struggle. In my personal experience, however, I can recall a year of my life in which I was so madly in love with Jesus. It was an all consuming passion that exuded from my being. I remember sitting in my high school with my journal, scribbling so fast that my hand ached; I was so intent on communicating with my Lord. SO vividly I remember the feeling of joy bubbling, bursting forth...the feeling of love for Jesus and the broken world surrounding me. (I just realized I was typing this so fast that I almost ended that last sentence in a preposition!)
Where did that feeling go? I know it lies within, but I feel like what replaces it right now is a deep anxiety about the future. I LOVE God and know that he has wonderful plans for my life, but I am struggling to understand the purpose of my current circumstances. Missing passion in my life is what is most difficult. Being such an emotional and passionate person, the emptiness is overwhelming. I know am called to teach, but I am not satisfied in my current job. I am in love with a man, but am frustrated in the circumstances of my relationship. I really am blessed by my church family, but I struggle to know where I fit in. In the midst of all this I feel I am at a loss.
I know God has a call for my life, but I feel like I am waiting. How does a person live abundantly in a time of waiting?
So...I will worship.
Broken and battered your confidence shattered but I am still here
The things that you cling to they seem to just bring you right back to your fears
Were the nails and the spear in My side not quite enough to provide
the victory you need in your life
Come to Me, Come to Me
If you come to Me, it'll be all right now
Depression is ending this fairytale ending you've sought for yourself
Broken glass photographs that use to make you laugh sit on the shelf
And you'd change the frame if you could, but you're doing the things that you should
Hoping that I'll think you're good enough
You're broken and shattered your body's been battered by what they call life
Depression is ending this life you've been spending wrapped up in your lies
And once in a while is not enough to show to Me what you call love
Don't waste my time words aren't all I want
Broken and battered your confidence shattered but I am still here....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sam... we haven't talked really in so long, and so in many ways I feel like we don't really know each other anymore. BUT, I do know that I know you at least a little... you are my sister :)
ReplyDeleteI don't know the specifics of your circumstances... but because I love you, I do feel like I need to tell you something. You won't be in this place (not earth... the place of waiting) forever. And sometimes, if it feels like nothing is being done, there is SO much more being done than we can see - than maybe we will ever see. God is doing surgery. Which may mean that you are under "anesthetics"... a part of you may be asleep in some way, but there is a purpose for that. Just be in this place. This place of in-between and doesn't-feel-right and desire is okay.
Wishing I could give you a hug and invite you over to bake our hearts out or something...